l Switch language for recipe in French l
For 6 pita breads
Preparation time: 15 min, Time to rest: 40 min, Cooking time: 10 à 15 min
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 ¼ cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3- 3 ½ cups flour
- Dissolve yeast in water for about 5 minutes in the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Add salt and 1 ½ cups flour and with the dough hook, beat to make a batter.
- Add additional flour until a rough, shaggy mass is formed. Knead 8 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Add more flour if it is too sticky.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and divide into six pieces for large pitas or ten for smaller
- Form dough into balls, then flatten with a rolling pin into ¼ inch thick discs. Try and keep an even thickness as this is what helps them ‘puff’.
- Let rest on the floured surface 30-40 minutes until slightly puffed.
- Preheat oven to 220F.
- With a large spatula, flip the rounds of dough upside down on to a baking sheet. Bake 10-15 minutes until light golden. Stick around for the first five minutes of baking when the pitas perform their magic and puff up from flat pancakes to proud, four inch high pitas.
These store for up to two days well wrapped or frozen for three weeks.