l Switch language for recipe in French l
Craving Mexican food? Tortillas are a type of soft, thin flatbread made from corn in the Mexican and Central America . In northern Mexico and the Tex-Mex food the corn flour is replaced with wheat flour . Currently , Mexicans consume an average of about 90 kilograms of tortillas a year, that is to say about 250 grams per day. Tortillas are eaten as an accompanying starchy , somewhat like bread, here, in France !
The recipe is quite easy. I propose a serving suggestion at the end of recipe.
For 10 tortillas
Preparation time: 15 min, Cooking time: 10min
- 3 cups white flour
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¾ cup cold water
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup extra flour, to use when rolling out
- Combine all ingredients well except the extra flour.
- Make small balls from the dough.
- Sprinkle a little flour on each.
- Roll them out one by one on the floured counter. Sprinkle a little flour when it gets sticky.
- Cook in a non-stick pan every time you finish one.
- Cook one tortilla at a time for about 30 seconds each side.
- Cover them with a large kitchen towl well right after you take it from the pan.
- Pile them in the same place and let them cool under the kitchen towl.
- Serve warm or cold.
I served these tortillas with diced avocados, grilled chicken, cherry tomatoes, cheese and cream.
You can also serve the tortilla with a homemade guacamole that you can find here: